KPI to be measured
Ask a question
Was this article helpful? 0 out of 0 found this helpful
THRON HubSpot Connector is a powerful THRON application that allows integration with the popular inbound marketing tool by joining the identities of the contacts on both platforms enhancing the knowledge on the contact and enabling workflows based on the real details and features of the contact . While THRON will be able to enrich the contact profile with information collected by HubSpot and strengthen its content recommendation, HubSpot will benefit from the interests of users collected by THRON to plan targeted marketing automation initiatives.
The synchronization between the two systems through the connector takes place in two different moments, both asynchronous, which for practical reasons we will call: "synchronization of contacts" and "enrichment of HubSpot profiles".
Once the connector has been activated via the Marketplace, it will be necessary to carry out the first configuration, providing the connector with all the authentication information for its HubSpot platform. In particular, the following information is required:
- portal ID
- client ID
- client Secret
- Application ID
- API Key
Retrieving the portalID is pretty simple: whenever you access your HubSpot portal it is available in the upper right corner of the screen.
In order to retrieve the other information (client ID, client secret, application ID and API Key) you must create a new application for HubSpot integration. You will have to register in the Developers Portal. Once your account has been activated, just log on and create a new application.
Pick any name you like for your application, but make sure you select the option:
- Private. Only your portal will get value out of this application
Once this application has been created, the user will be sent to the application's interface. In the "Detail" tab you will be able to find the following information:
- app ID
- client ID
- client secret
Then, under "Scopes", make sure the following checkboxes are "flagged":
- Basic OAuth functionality
- Read from and write to my Contacts
Finally, the API Key can be generated and retrieved within the "Integrations" section, which can be reached by any subscribed developer via the following url:
In the left column of this page you will find the voice "Get your HubSpot API Key" which will allow you to create an API Key or to view already existing ones.
At this point, to benefit from the integration it is appropriate to enable tracking exposed by THRON to collect information on the interests of contacts. To do so you can either use THRON Player to deliver your content or you can integrate THRON Tracking Library.
Synchronization of contacts
An initial synchronization takes place through a daily batch process that aims to identify all new contacts acquired by HubSpot and create their counterparts within the list of contacts in THRON.
The information collected by HubSpot with which THRON contacts are enriched are:
- Name and Surname
- hsvid (the ID for the contact in HubSpot; this information is used to create a "bridge" between the two platforms)
- Social ID (if present): facebookId, twitterId, google+Id, linkedIn id
These details are added as new keys to the contact in THRON, which is then enriched with a tag of the TARGET classification identifying its "lifecycle stage".
In addition to this default set of information, through the connector's configuration panel you can specify your own subset of custom properties to import. The following property types are supported: Single checkbox, Multiple checkboxes, Dropdown select, Radio select. These custom properties will be applied to the THRON's contact in the form of tags in the TARGET classification, where "HubSpot properties" will be the root tag, the custom property will be the first level of child tag and the actual value of the custom property will be the second level of child tag.
Enrichment of HubSpot profiles
A second synchronization takes place through a weekly batch process that aims to provide HubSpot with tags related to the interests of each individual contact by taking them from a classification of your own THRON taxonomy.
This process takes place once a week for the optimization of the involved resources, as it requires that the entire list of contacts is re-processed from time to time, regardless of whether they are active or not (the script is agnostic with respect to the actual interaction of contacts in the touchpoints).
This process creates two badges on the timeline of contacts within HubSpot:
- Weekly Contact Insights: this badge contains the best topics for this contact ordered by score. It should be compared with that of the previous week to see the evolutions in the interests associated with the contact and possibly trigger targeted marketing automation initiatives. In fact, such tags are stored in HubSpot in the form of a custom property whose label is "THRON Customer Interest > #number; such properties are grouped into a group whose label is "THRON tags for contact". The total number of properties and elements in the “Weekly Contact Insights” badge can be selected during the configuration of the connector.
- THRON Tags for contact: this badge contains the list of all the tags associated with the specific contact (both in the TOPIC and in the TARGET classification). Creating a new badge of this type voids the content of the previous week’s badge, so you can create more general workflows for your contacts.
How to handle active contacts synchronization
Since the integration between the two systems is asynchronous, it may happen that when a user presents himself on one of your channels, the information that THRON or HubSpot have is not the most up to date. To overcome this problem you need to manually intervene by synchronizing only those contacts that are actually active on your channels.
For this reason THRON exposes an integration script which MUST be included in the <head> section of your websites. This script "interrogates" the THRON database to find out if the identity provided by HubSpot matches an existing THRON contact. If there is no correspondence, a new contact will be created in THRON, if there is correspondence, the two contacts will be synchronized by updating the THRON contact.
The script is the following:
Where "clientId" is the domain name used to access your THRON.
Integration between THRON and HubSpot events (Forms/CTA)
For all those events for which it is necessary to have THRON immediately informed that the event has been executed by the user, it is possible to jointly exploit the HubSpot workflows and the THRON CTAs, integrating them through a script.
In other words:
- Create a new workflow in HubSpot
- Select your "Enrollment trigger" according to the desired HubSpot's event (e.g.: a user submits the form X)
- Select as an action of the workflow the execution of a webhook
The webhook must be a POST method with the following endpoint:
- clientId (mandatory): the domain name used to access your THRON
- ctaLabel (mandatory): the prettyId of the THRON CTA to be executed. This prettyId can be retrieved by reaching the Dashboard's section "Settings" --> "CTA Management"
- target (optional): the target of the THRON CTA (e.g.: a contentId, an SKU, another custom information)